Wednesday, September 10, 2008

One Year Ago...

Please tell me that one of these days, I am going to have a post titled One Year Ago that tells a HAPPY Story.

A year ago today, I found out that I had ovarian hyperstim syndrome during IVF #1. Yeah, it's common, people get it. So, after seeing him earlier that morning concerned as I was not feeling well and bloated, he had told me, yeah, you have it. He wanted to see what the bloodwork said and go from there. So, I headed to Quest for bloodwork. At this point, I was told, my transfer might be cancelled but the issue seemed minor.

But, lucky me got it bad enough that not only did he cancel my transfer but my doctor decided a nice stay at NW Medical Center was in order. The bloodwork revealed that my kidneys were not working properly. At this point, I was scared, I'd NEVER been in the hospital as a patient. I spent the next 3 days in the hospital on the maternity ward. Isn't that lovely??? Not only do I have to go to the hospital, but you are sending me to the maternity ward?!? It's really not fun being in the hospital nevermind being infertile on the maternity ward after your best chance of getting pregnant is cancelled. Thank God that I did not have a roommate. If I had to share a room with someone who just had a baby, I may have lost it.

My husband spent everyday with me. He would arrive at 9am as early as they would let him and stay til 8pm. I remember spending one night in the bathroom sobbing after he left. I went in there so as to avoid the nurse in case she came in. They would come in every 3-4 hours to weigh me and measure my stomach to make sure I wasn't retaining more fluids. The worst part was no one knew we were doing IVF except my mother and father. So, I had no visitors except my husband and mother.

I really hope a year from now is better than the past year.

4 comments:

Josée Martens said...

Things are looking better and better for you... :-) I hope you are planning which gymboree to join this time next year.

Emily said...

By comparison this year is looking better by a mile & hopefully next year, it will all be a distant memory while you hold your newborn close...

Lisa said...

Oh, I'm sorry...what a sad story. I keep wishing for that happy "1 year ago" story, too - for both of us!! Hopefully, you're on your way!

Unknown said...

I remember when you found out you had OHSS and I thought "Oh they're not going to cancel the ET." I was so heartbroken for you. I didn't know you were stuck on the maternity ward. That's awful.

I'm hoping for a happy "one year ago..." story for you too!