Wednesday, June 11, 2008

One Day Workup at CCRM in Denver


Before I get started, as you can see, I posted a picture of CCRM. It's quite an impressive facility, just opened in January and is 40,000 square feet. They have other facilities but this is the main one where ERs and ETs are done. The area is very nice, near a hospital. The area is growing and has a GORGEOUS view of the mountains.

On Monday, we had our one day workup at CCRM in Denver. I must admit, I was VERY nervous. So, we had to be there at 7:45am and had a whole schedule of events to occur that day. Of course, our first meeting of the day was with Dr. Schoolcraft. There really wasn't much to say being we had spoken via telephone already. I did ask him a few questions just for reassurance as he asked some questions as well. The two things that he said that stood out the most were that he did think he could make this work and that he wished all his cases were like mine. I know, most people would be thrilled and it does make me happy BUT, my former RE also told me that he'd get me my baby several times. I realize that Dr. S is more competent but regardless, I'll believe it when I'm holding my baby. So, after Dr. S, hubby had to do his thing for the antibody testing, poor guy. Off he went, while I waited in fear as to what was going on, if everything was okay and he was gone for about 30 minutes. So, I had too much time to stress! After that, we were off to the financial department. We were told all the fees and signed the financial agreement, of course, we left a deposit. Next, we went over all the consents, what to do if my hubby dies, I die, we divorce, and what we want done with embryos that we don't use. It went fairly quickly, we've done that before. Then, we met with the nurse. She was nice, friendly, went over their procedures, what to do, who to call, stuff like that, basically CCRM's protocols. We went over all the tests I need to have when I get home since they have to be done later in the cycle. I need to get a biopsy 9-11 days past ovulation and cd 3 bloodwork. Then, we decided on what bloodwork would be done and off we went to get stuck! So, after that, I was relieved, atleast one of my "procedures" were done. Of course, the two worst were still lingering and I was so dreading them.

We had two hours for lunch since things didn't take as long as expected. I think they need an express session for those who have done IVF before. We grabbed subs at subway and headed to Target. I think we visited Target atleast once a day while there. After lunch, we met with the nurse again to go over meds. I had taken every medication except one. So, it was short. She did show us how to use the follistim pen since we've mixed with menopur in the past. After that, the dreaded procedures began. First, the ultrasound, not a biggie, of course, but not fun either. I had about 22 resting follies and the blood flow in the uterus was normal. She did see a fibroid but she didn't think it was in the way. Great, something else I have...

Of course, we're still ahead of schedule and the most dreaded thing was left and with Dr. Schoolcraft. So, I have to wait until he's available. Finally, they called me back and the nurse said T should wait and would be called for the regroup. I was kinda annoyed, I wanted him there while having the hysteroscopy. I didn't understand either because I didn't know about the regroup. The hysteroscopy wasn't bad. He said I got an A+ and everything looked fine. And, that was it! So, really, no new discoveries and there wasn't a regroup.

So, now, I have to get my annual updated with my obgyn which is scheduled for Monday. I am going to discuss the biopsy with her as well. I know she can do it but I don 't know if she can with only 10 days notice so I'll need to discuss that with her. Then, once my period arrives, I'll get the cd3 bloodwork. The blood needs to be shipped to CCRM so they gave me a kit for that. So, over the next few weeks, I'll start to get some answers on the other tests we did there. Of course, I have these few to do locally as well. Once all that is done, I'll get a protocol and a calendar. I am so hoping to start bcp next cycle but we'll see!

The day was very long as I said before. I left with the worst migraine, now cramping after the hysteroscopy and bleeding. I was cranky to say the least. After some rest, we headed to dinner and Grand Lux Cafe and got a BIG piece of chocolate cake to go. We went back to the hotel, packed, ate that cake!! :) I'll probably post a blog about the weekend in general in a few days. I have some other pictures to post for that too.

Keep those good vibes coming, we seem to be having some good luck...

12 comments:

Jennifer said...

Sounds like quite an ordeal, but it will be well worth it in the end... when you finally get that BFP!

Lisa said...

What a full day!! Glad you were able to get so much done, but, I know how hard it is to do so much in one day!!

TTCinDC said...

good luck! Colorado is pretty much the best place in the world for relaxing and vacationing, so hopefully this trip will provide you some mental peace as well as some medical progress!

FSUSammy said...

What a busy busy day but sounds like they definitely know what they are doing to pack so many things in at once. They definitely don't waste any time and that's exactly what you need right now a doctor that is aggresive to not only get you answers but get you closer to having that baby or babies in your arms.

Jill said...

Wow -- sounds like a really productive day! I hope that all of the tests go smoothly and you can get started soon!

DAVs said...

We leave for CCRM today--it was cool to see the pic of the building.
I am glad you posted about the hysteroscopy--I am fairly nervous about that too. I did one before under sedation...this time, Advil only?
I'm glad that you're getting good news so far!

Heather J. @ TLC Book Tours said...

Dropping by for NaComLeavMo - Hi! :)

I wish you the very best with CCRM!!!!

Kim said...

Wow what a day! Sending good vibes your way! NCLM

Wishing 4 One said...

Wow what a day, you were busy, but sounds like it all went great! This is really exciting for you both and I am so glad to follow your journey.....best wishes and good vibes coming your way....

Jill said...

I'm glad that the Denver appt. went so well. I'm hoping that Colorado continues to bring you nothing but good news, including the baby in your arms when this is all said and done. :-)

Lost in Space said...

That sounds like a full, but productive day. Good luck with your upcoming testing and all my best for your CCRM journey.

Anonymous said...

Here from NCLM, and wishing you the very best with your upcoming cycle - it sounds like they are very thorough. I wish you didn't have to go through all of this, but I hope it will bring you & your dh your hearts' desire.

Hugs,

Andie