Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Our trip to Denver!

what a trip to say the least. So, here's a recap.

We flew out Wednesday afternoon. On our way out, we realized we forgot something so had to head back but it only put us behind 15 minutes. We figured no big deal. But, of course, the lines were horrible! We made it with time to spare but cut it close. We sat in the plane for about 30 minutes before takeoff. not fun with a one year old! I figured no biggie. About 30 minutes in, Cate got sick and puked a tad. Fortunately, she had a bib on and I had something covering my lap. I gave her benadryl but it did not help one bit. The flight was quite bumpy and she did not do well. Fortunately, we had the nicest lady sitting next to us and she helped us out alot! As we were about to land, they closed the Denver Airport due to weather so we had to circle. awesome. It wasn't too long and we got to the hotel and settled in.

On Thursday, we met friends at the Children's Museum. Caitlin LOVED it and we had lots of fun. After the museum, we went to Cheesecake Factory for lunch. We had a nice lunch, head back to the hotel and napped. When we got up, we headed to PF Chang's for dinner. We usually have a great experience there but not this time. The service sucked and it was so hot. I got most of my food to go because I felt ill.

Friday was the big day! I got woken up by Caitlin puking. Tom gave her a bottle and she puked it all up. So, we put her on a bland diet, stayed at the hotel for breakfast and rested up. We headed over to CCRM around 10:30am. I went in while Tom got Caitlin. I had my bloodwork and went upstairs. Tom stayed downstairs with Caitlin which really sucked. People would come in and say are you alone?! Since I take valium, I can't drive myself home so that's probably why they asked but it made me bummed. I wish Tom had been in there with me. So, I got my acupuncture and got very relaxed. Nurses kept coming in and out, seemed like forever. Then, the embryologist came in! He said that the embryo thawed perfectly. What a relief! my biggest fear was that we'd have to make a decision to add another to the mix or not depending on how it looked. He said it was already expanding, everything they want to see! The nurse came in and asked how I was doing with the water. I was already uncomfortable so she let me go a bit.

Dr. Schoolcraft came in and prepped me for the transfer. He was all ready and just waiting on the embryo. They wheeled in and I really couldn't see it well. The nurse pulled down the blankets so I could see the embryo on screen. most amazing part ever! Schoolcraft did the transfer and said it went perfect! On the way out, he said hopefully one is enough! He wasn't rude about it, that's just his nature. I understand what he's saying but I have to do what I feel comfortable with. I'm not going to get into the details as to why we chose to transfer one. It's our decision and I'm leaving it at that. I'm not looking for a debate. We did what was best for me, for us, and our family. Everyone is different.

After the transfer, I got my acupuncture and headed home about an hour later. I got into bed and started bed rest! I was going crazy pretty quickly. The bed wasn't the greatest and my back started to hurt quickly. Saturday was more bed rest. My back hurt and it was incredibly frustrating to not be able to get up to take care of my child. I admire all those ladies who are on bedrest pregnant!!

Now, this is where things go bad and quick. Tom is complaining of heartburn around 11pm on Saturday night. We go to bed and at 1am, he gets up puking. I think ok, no biggie it happens. Then, again at 2am, he pukes. Now, I'm a bit worried but just thinking to myself that it didn't all get out of his system. This continues every hour until 5am and other things start happening which I'll spare everyone with those details. I call the front desk at about 530am to find out somewhere I can take him. I also email a friend in Denver to see if she can watch Caitlin while I take him to a walk in clinic. Fortunately, she was able to help! thank god!!! life saver. I can't pick Caitlin up and Tom is in no shape to even drive. I'm thinking we are going to go to the clinic and get some meds. He was so dehydrated that he needed IV fluids. They also tested his white blood cell count to see if it's bacterial or viral. He also had a fever. It turned out to be bacterial. likely food poisoning.

So, we finally get back to the hotel around 2pm and get his prescriptions. We stayed in and rested the remainder of the day. We got up at 5am on Monday to head to the airport for our 8am flight which I was terrified for. I can't carry Caitlin or anything much and Tom is sick. Fortunately, he was much better!! Caitlin was an Angel on the plane. nothing like the way out there.

So, that about sums it up. Now, we wait and pray that this works. I'm not sure whether I will test or not. I'm playing it by ear for now. I really appreciate everyone's thoughts and good wishes. They mean so much to us!

here's hoping we brought back a little something from Denver!

4 comments:

Kristen said...

Sorry to hear that the Denver trip was so eventful! Hope everyone is feeling better and that your one rockstar embryo is settling in for 9 long months! :)

Tobi said...

I so hope this works for you, Christi! I'm glad the transfer went well and that you didn't get sick. Best of luck to you!

Jackie said...

Oh my what a trip! Glad to hear the transfer went well. Hope hubby and C are doing better. T&P for a little gift!

Dawn said...

What a crazy trip you had! Hopefully it was well worth everything you went through! You are all in my thoughts and prayers! I hope everyone is feeling great!